Monday, January 17, 2011

If I'm Not My Zodiac Sign, Then Who Am I (Wink Wink)?

Does your Zodiac sign change or doesn't it? Some are saying, “No it does not change and is only applied to people who are born After 2009.” Others are saying, "Yes, it may have changed." and adding to my perplexity, “It does not count if you were born Before ’09.” So I hereby declare, “Identify with the sign you so choose!” I for one am grabbing my bull by its horns and bidding thee a fare well and now wish to associate with Aries (being born May, 11th). This is a leap by any standard, not knowing anything about the fiery sign of Aries, but what the hell.

As someone who drinks from the well of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, I wonder what he would have to say about all of this if he were alive today. Bhagavan taught Non-dualism, but he is most widely associated with the practice of Self-Enquiry and advocated the enquiry of "Nan Yar" (Who am I?).

The practice of Self-enquiry is not an intellectual exercise. It involves fixing the attention firmly and intensely on the Feeling of “I”, without thinking. Point being, lots of people identify with their zodiac sign for whatever reason. The other day, I was sitting next to a woman who told me “The whole zodiac change created such upheaval that she called her doctor immediately to up her meds.” this is of no surprise. Of course if you put that much stock into anything that you think defines you, you would be in for a real identity crisis. I fully understood her. Her concepts of what she thinks herself to be have been single handily altered by the universe and she had no say in the matter. By simply believing that her zodiac sign had changed, whether true or not is her reality. This would have been the perfect opportunity for her to practice Self-enquiry.

For whatever it is worth, I love hearing what people have to say about all of this and seeing their reactions. I never knew how comedic people could be until this whole zodiac confusion started. Messing with peoples’ signs has been quite entertaining and has given me a few decent belly laughs, so I'm not complaining. I find astrology fascinating and do believe the heavens to have significant meaning, but then again, what do I know?

As always, I welcome your comments.

1 comment:

  1. It's a great spectator sport! The change in sign only related to Vedic astrology anyway. In any case, I believe that astrology is about predispositions - nothing is certain.

    ReplyDelete